Unearthed Vancouver 201729 Sep - 01 Oct
From idea to prototype in one weekend
This competition has finished.
Come rock with us, join the community
program you join.
resources industry. All are welcome.
Haul it up! – Optimize haul truck performance
Haul truck performance and productivity is a key value driver at all of Teck’s mining operations. Haul trucks can carry up to 400 tons of material per cycle and performance as well as wear on equipment can vary significantly between operators. A multitude of parameters such as vehicle speed and locations are tracked using fleet management software and GPS. The challenge is to utilize that data and provide creative and innovative solutions for improving the individual operator’s or overall trucking performance.
Each haul route is modelled to determine the optimum time it should take to drive through each section. Every truck produces a significant amount of geospatial and performance data on each cycle (the time it takes to travel from the pit to the crusher) that can be used to evaluate performance against the route model. This data is currently collected but not used in operations to provide meaningful feedback that could be used to improve performance. By safely reducing haul truck cycle times, Teck will operate more efficiently, increase productivity and ultimately create millions in value for Teck’s operations.
Potential areas to consider
- Real time feedback systems, gamification
- Supervisor tools for assessing performance
- Applications to identify areas where performance is lowest on the mine roads
- What other applications are useful and possible?
Full challenge description available for download here.
Data will include a data dictionary
- Haul cycle metadata including start & end times and locations, truck and operator IDs.
- Start & end times of operating statuses of each truck during haul cycle (i.e. empty, loading, dumping, refuelling, down etc.).
- Timestamp & GPS coordinates of truck, approx. every 10 seconds, during each status period
- Standard haulage model of current route showing ideal travel times.