Unearthed Brisbane 201813 Jul - 15 Jul
Brisbane Hackers Unite! Building the next gen of innovations ready to take the resources sector into a new digital age.
This competition has finished.
Come rock with us, join the community
program you join.
resources industry. All are welcome.
Plug Me In - optimising the human sensor at Eraring Power Station
Your mission is to enable Origin employees and contractors, "the human sensor" at the power station to collect data so that it can be interpreted it in a meaningful way.
The successful completion of various activities around the power station provides two key challenges for operational managers:
- On any given day the work load varies significantly and organising and scheduling the personnel required to do the inspections can be challenging.
- Ensuring the consistency of the collection and interpretation information required. No two humans see, hear and interpret in exactly the same way.
In a utopian world, all of the plant, equipment and facilities in an industrial facility would have enough automated and connected sensors to be able to detect any form anomalous activity or undesirable condition in the plant. In the real world this is never the case.
Enter the “Human Sensor”, experienced operational personnel who visually inspect defined locations in the plant. Looking and listening for signs of anomalies and defects, such as changes in equipment vibration, temperature, levels of sight glasses, readings of manual pressure gauges and checking for leaks.
This is a broad, complex challenge with quite a few variables!
Can some simpler tasks be offered to other staff members on site on an opportunistic basis?
How can we better use our existing data set to manage/forecast resource loads and gain visibility on workloads?
Can technology automatically assign tasks between the available personnel, based on their individual history of performance and competencies?
How can we quickly and easily identify items that require inspection when people are in the area?
How can we quickly and easily utilise common mobile technology to complete each requirement (noise recording, photos and vibration) and interface them to our data warehouse?
Impact & Value
- Approx. $3M per annum in improved resource planning and equipment reliability
- Improved surveillance of equipment and defects
- Potential to be utilised on other assets
- Video with audio showing that demonstrates what the human sensors are doing/ listening to / looking at.
- Photos (metadata available), not of typical things the Operator looks at, matched to jobsheet tasks.
- Examples of job sheets / job sheet templates
- Competency requirements aligned to jobs
Elise Ring - Lead Mentor